The Santa Fe Railroad’s first 4-8-4 Northern type locomotive was the 3751. Built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1927. Steam powered with a tractive effort of 71,719 lbf, she ran on standard gauge track. In 1936 the locomotive was converted to burn fuel oil and then in 1938 was given a larger tender that held 20,000 gallons of water and 7,107 gallons of fuel oil.
On May 7, 1939 3751 was present at the grand opening of the new Los Angeles Union Station. 3751 pulled the first passenger train into the station from Chicago. In 1941 the locomotive, along with others, was given more upgrades that included new 80 inch driving wheels. 3751 continued in service reliably until retirement in 1953. The locomotive was stored until 1957 when it was officially removed from the railroad’s roster. In 1958 it was put on display in San Bernardino, CA where it stayed for almost 30 years.
The San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society was formed in 1981 and they had ideas of restoring 3751. Four years later 3751 was sold to them with the condition that they restore the locomotive and operate it. In 1986 the locomotive was moved from display and began restoration. The project was completed in 1991 after $1.5 million dollars had been spent. 3751 ran for the first time in 38 years by pulling 16 passenger cars on a four-day trip from Los Angeles to Bakersfield. The locomotive has done regular trips on and off since then. 3751 is taken to many special events including Railroad Days at the Fullerton Train station every year. At this point, Santa Fe 3751 is the oldest surviving 4-8-4 in the world.